Some of my experience
Freelance work: Midwest Center for Investigative Reporting, Columbia Missourian, Vox Magazine, KBIA and KOMU.
Noticias Monteverde, Monteverde, Costa Rica — Managing Editor
January 2022 to December 2022
Noticias Monteverde, or The Monteverde News, is a young bilingual
newspaper in the tropical mountains of Costa Rica. Alongside a small
staff, we put the first stories of this town down on paper for everyone
to freely access.
- Assign, direct and edit stories (written and visual).
- Create, manage and grow social media strategy.
- Teach study abroad journalism students how to report in a foreign context (i.e. how to ask the right questions, how to interview through an interpreter and how to find stories abroad).
- Direct design, layout and story content for all print issues and online; manage and guide all employee's articles, photos, videos and social content.
- My mission is and always will be to create inclusive, thought- provoking content that connects us across country lines, across cultures and across conflicts.
Proctor Academy, Santa Elena, Costa Rica — Latin American History and English Teacher
January 2022 to December 2022
Proctor Academy is a private boarding school in New Hampshire that sends students around the world each semester. The spark and tenacity of my students still inspire me.
- Created an honest, open intellectual environment where we challenged one another’s assumptions, asked questions without shame and supported one another’s learning.
- Created lesson plans that challenged the students to learn creatively.
Noticias Monteverde, Monteverde, Costa Rica — Reporter and Photographer
August 2021 to December 2021
While working on my Master’s research project, I also worked at a local
- Wrote and pitched environment and health stories.
- Worked on social media creation and production and helped with web development.
- Helped my boss with the vision and mission of the newspaper and was hired as Managing Editor.
Columbia Missourian, Columbia, Mo. — Staff Photographer
June 2020 to July 2021
The Columbia Missourian is a local newspaper.
- Pitched stories, executed assignments, worked with others, in and out of my department, and made thousands of photos.
- Worked efficiently and tactfully, often with little information on my assignments beforehand.
- Connect with sources and tell complex stories.
- I challenged myself and my department to tell more environmental stories and learned how one story can make a difference for a whole community.
Missouri School of Journalism Global Programs, Columbia, Mo. — Graduate Assistant, Communications Assistant
January 2020 to December 2021
- Created web content and development strategies.
- Created and organized social media content.
- Organized and published student content from studying abroad.
Vox Magazine, Columbia, Mo. — Digital Editor & Writer
January 2019 to December 2019
Vox Magazine is a city-focused publication whose mission is to touch on community life, culture and
- Pitched and wrote online environment/science-focused stories as well as produced others’ online stories.
- Worked on weekly newsletters, helped run social media accounts creating and pushing content, and tracked analytics.
- This job taught me that creativity flows best when people feel safe, supported and seen, and that a publication is nothing without passion from the people that run it.
Indian Express, Delhi, India — Reporting Intern
May to August 2019
The Indian Express is a national English-language daily newspaper.
- Shadowed reporters, pitched and wrote stories, and got to see another culture up close.
- Worked on the environment and health beat and covered anything from the local health clinic system to groundwater depletion.
- This job taught me the privilege of talking to everyday people. It taught me that I know very little and I must never stop asking questions.
Decoding Science, Columbia, Mo. — Staff Writer and Photographer
January to December 2019
Decoding Science is a public relations news outlet under the University of Missouri with the goal of
bringing science to the non-scientist.
- Combined PR work and storytelling through hours of decoding complex scientific journal articles, interviewing scientists from countless fields of study and bringing complex scientific information to everyday people.
- Ran social media alongside creating and producing content for our website.
Service Jobs I've had throughout the years
I learned just as much about communication through these positions as my classes or professional experiences taught me. I also deeply believe in volunteering and community service.
Barista, Rock Climbing Instructor, Hostess, Shift Manager, Construction Worker, Artist Assistant, Campground Assistant and Events Worker, to name a few.